Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Blessings and Thankfulness.


I find myself thankful today as I reflect on the many blessings God has generously bestowed.

Moving to a new place, especially a new culture, takes patience and time to develop a sense of rhythm and ongoing relationship with local people. Unfortunately, my patience is almost always too thin and my deeply ingrained thoughts and assumptions too narrow to see people truly well. I wish I could see people as Jesus sees them, beyond their faults and deep to their core, as His masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10). I wish I would love people more and chastise them less.

Yet, God is still in control. He still loves me in spite of all that I do, or don’t do. Amazing.

So tonight, my last night as a 31 year-old, I am sitting in the still silence of the night as I reflect on the past year of my life. I am blessed.

Here are some thoughts from the past year, November 17, 2009 to November 17, 2010, as I reflect on my life and who God is to and through me.

I have been in the USA, Uganda, Kenya, Sudan, Egypt, Ethiopia, Turkey, Greece, and Amsterdam. The sheer number of planes I have been on and the miles I’ve traveled is astonishing.

I lived in Uganda for four months and in my current location in Sudan the past eight months. Both are places full of joy, hardship, trial, and celebration.

I can now say at least a few phrases, if not much more, in English, Moru, Juba Arabic, Kiswahili, Somali, Lubwisi, and German. Since living in Sudan people have been trying to teach me Moru, Arabic, Kiswalhili, and Somali, but my main focus has been a dialect of Arabic - used as the common language among people in southern Sudan. I can now carry on basic conversations in this language, but no doubt it will take me many, many, many years to become really good at speaking it. But it has been really fun to learn thus far!

I have supporters from 16 different states, and have been blessed and encouraged by friends from even more states and countries.

I’ve worked primarily in two different health centers in Uganda and Sudan. I have seen many people, primarily children, die, but I have seen many more live. From births to deaths, I am thankful for the skills and opportunities afforded me to care for others.

As I think about the past year, transition is a constant theme. From one place to another, I believe the past fifteen years have been full of transitions in some fashion, and I foresee even more in the future.

I like sleep more now than I ever have. There is something so great about going to bed! It could be that I have not slept through the night even once in the past year, so maybe I am always a bit tired, but I usually feel rested well enough. There is also something nice about sleep during times of heavy transition. Everyone sleeps and it is perfectly normal to do so. You don’t have to think about anything else, no languages to translate, no pondering what clothes to wear to fit in culturally, and no new patterns to develop that are part of the surrounding culture’s basic routine – you just sleep. I am getting tired…

Above all else, the past year has brought renewal of old friendships and the beginnings of new ones. It is so interesting to look back and see how God brought certain people into my life at certain times. Some of those people and the associated relationships will last for a long time, while others have already ended.

So here is to another year! To friendships old and new! To no regrets! To trials, frustrations, celebrations, loneliness, births and burials, abundance, and joyful living – all part of my life.

God has been good to me. So very good to me.

7 comments:

DrsMyhre said...

Happy Birthday Scott! Here's to living life fully, which is what you do and probably why you need to SLEEP. Here's to sharing that full life with many others, which is something else you do amazingly well. You've been a gift in our lives and we look forward to another year of friendship. Love, Jennifer and Scott

Adam T. said...

Thanks for sharing Scott. There is something very spiritual about sleep too. May God comfort and show himself to you during your sleep.

Travis and Amy said...

Happy Birthday Scott! Wish we were with you in Mundri to celebrate. Thanks for including us with your friends. Its a blessing to be on this journey with you. We will be freestyling all day tomorrow in celebration!
talpa

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Scott! Enjoyed meeting you this summer. Looking forward to see how God continues to work in your relationships in Mundri.

Karen said...

We are thankful for YOU! We are blessed to serve alongside of you. Praying for a rich year to come.
-Karen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday a bit late, Scott, but with all my good wishes. I really appreciate your sharing your life and faith with me. Your gifts of love show in what you write. Thank you for giving so much where it is truly needed. I hope that the coming year brings you ever greater blessings. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Judy in HMB

One Dusty Traveller said...

Happy Birthday...LATE !
Your pictures are priceless....I love seeing your many, many friends....You are Blessed with all of those smiles.
May the Love of God fill you with more joy each day -
Thanks for sharing Jesus with those precious ones...Stay strong in the Faith !
Peace-
Em in Va