Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blessings and Thankfulness -Courage, Polio, and Perspective


I recently had the opportunity to visit my friend David in a neighboring village. This was my second overnight trip to his home, but this time I used my motorcycle to travel the 14 miles from my house across the dirt, pot-laden road. Last time I went, I biked alongside David as he peddled his bike-chair by hand. I had a hard time keeping up with him, especially on the down hills. David's upper body is ripped!

David suffered from polio as a child. He told me the plight of his family, as they were 'running through the bush' during the war and no children at that time were able to get the polio vaccine.

Shortly after he suffered the disease as a young child, he learned to crawl around on his hands and legs as he traveled from place to place - which is what some adults with polio still do here. But then he learned to use sticks as crutches to help him walk, then eventually he was blessed with a 'land-rover' type wheel chair that has opened up his world of mobility. He takes that chair everywhere! When walking through the bush and tall grass alongside him, it is amazing to see as he plows over the ruts, through the mud, and over the hills. His dedication and determination are truly inspiring.

The town he lives in is much smaller than where I stay, and truly feels like a village in the bush when I come to visit. I love going there because it seems so different from where I currently stay - though I love the town I am in. However, this little 'village in the bush' where his family lives is riddled with problems.

David finished secondary school in Mundri, where I currently live, in April 2010. He then started Primary Teachers College in his hometown, called Kitobi, which is where I went to visit him and his family.

David showed me the local secondary school in Kitobi, which is beautiful, and he told me how very few students go to secondary school. Very, very few girls attend. Most boys spend their time 'drinking alcohol' instead of going to school, and most girls are 'needed at home' so they never finish. After two visits to this town, I have to agree that the number of men and young guys I meet that are exceedingly drunk, even during the day, is alarming. It longs for me to invest in these guys, or at least encourage people or programs to target these young men. So often they feel helpless and hopeless, so alcohol becomes their friend and their crutch.

Every Saturday around these parts has been declared 'dance day' by the local commissioner, in an effort to retain cultural music and dance. I appreciate the retaining of culture, and I love to see the people dancing their traditional dances and play their traditional music, as each tribe takes their turn leading the group. BUT the sheer number of people, especially men, but also some women, that are absolutely drunk at these gatherings has left me participating less than I would like. For some reason, drunk men are strangely drawn to come talk with me and try to show me how to dance their traditional dances - all while breathing way too close to me as they try to hug me - not an appealing friendship to me...

Anyways, while at David's house we traveled to the 'dance party' that night at 10:30 pm. As we were walking, only seeing by the light of the moon, we passed several women carrying gerry cans (big plastic jugs, most often used for carrying water). David commented that the women were all carrying locally brewed alcohol to the dance, to sell to the numerous buyers. Though this was not increasing my interest in attending the dance, it was slightly beautiful to see the numerous gerry cans all lined up with flashlights on top of them - a luminary-like-picture beckoning the people to break from the dancing to wonder over and buy some brew.

It was fun to watch the different dance moves, especially as I stood back and watched from the darkness. So often my physical presence, my 'whiteness', attracts everyones attention, so to blend in with the darkness of the night was a good change! Apparently, in spite of his polio, David is quite the dancer! He used to dance in clubs in Juba and would often get paid as he did his acrobatic, gymnastic, Gumbi-like break dance moves. I have seen pictures - truly a sight to be seen! If only I could dance and bend my body like that!

It was a great visit with David and his family. Once again, I left
thankful for my relationships with people here and in Uganda. I love meeting my friend's families - especially getting a glimpse of what life is like for them. I am so very blessed to have grown up in a country full of abundance, and I am humbled to know the love of the Lord. I long for all my friends to know and experience that love.

I have no regrets to be where I am, doing what I do. When I take trips like the one to David's house, or visit friends in the market, or just sit and talk with people as they tell me about their lives, I feel like the most blessed person in the world. Some days I feel very lonely, but I only need to be reminded of the many blessing I have in my life, especially my friends near and far. I love you all dearly.

*To see more photos from the journey, with commentary, please visit my Facebook page:

No comments: