Monday, August 24, 2009

Truth, Freedom, Love


August 23, 2009

Truth, Freedom, Love

“Safe? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.” – The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis

Why love, if losing hurts so much? I have no answers anymore: only the life I have lived. Twice in that life I've been given the choice: as a boy and as a man. The boy chose safety, the man chooses suffering. The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal. – Jack, Shadowlands

The past five weeks have been an emotional roller coaster, a time of deep healing and self-reflection. I’ve been in the Colorado Springs area at Mission Training International. The first two weeks involved language acquisition training, and then three of the best weeks of my life as I journeyed through spiritual, personal, lifestyle, interpersonal, cultural, endurance/enjoyment alongside 41 other adults and numerous children.

I was shoved in a box, discovered I was a teddy bear, sang a rap, freestyled, and cheered. The highlights are many and the memories are numerous. I was surrounded by some of the most inspiring people I have ever met. Their stories were amazing, and their encouragement and love deeply humbling. They let me be who I am and had no expectations otherwise. I miss them dearly, and hope this is the beginning of life-long friendships with many.

Truth, Freedom, Love. These three words rang ever so clear for me, and I believe I was transformed by the inward and outward application of them. I met Jesus in new ways and restored my relationship with him. Through the freely granted love of my brothers and sisters in Christ, I was challenged and encouraged to seek deeper meanings of God’s truth, freedom, and love. Through vulnerability and weakness, God and my new-found friends helped release me from binding chains that have weighed me down for so long. My freedom came at a great price, and to Jesus I lift my head.

I do not know when exactly I will be leaving for Uganda, but I think it will be soon. I am at 90% of the monthly support that I need, and I trust God will continue to provide the last of it. I am more excited than ever to return, as my heart longs to see friends from Uganda and build new relationships in Sudan, investing in lives to share the message of truth, freedom, and love.


The first weekend in Colorado I went whitewater rafting down the Arkansas River. My first rafting experience has left me hungry for more, even though I did break a rib in the process. A Hulk Hogan look-a-like was our guide! It was awesome!!!


This picture was taken on the top of Torrey's Peak. Yes, that is snow and ice pelting us! My friends Adam ("Thor"), Katie, Morgan and I hiked two 14,000+ feet mountains in one day. We got rained, snowed, hailed, and sleeted on. Despite the weather and a broken rib from previous rafting trip, it was a blessed time with friends as I enjoyed the magnificence of God's creation. Colorado afforded me many opportunities for outdoor adventure!


On top of Ben Lomand with Neil and Robb. These two guys are amazing, and I am deeply blessed to call them friends.


These are some of the neatest, most courageous, inspiring guys I know. They encouraged and challenged me to experience the Truth, Freedom, and Love of Christ.


What a view! I hiked up this mountain five times, as it was only a mile from where I stayed. Now that I am back in Ohio, I am longing for the mountains and beauty of Colorado!

No comments: