Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Discipline


Everett, Washington
Volume 3, Issue 24
September 15, 2008

-Discipline-
…a harvest of righteousness…

Another long day has left me tired and spent, but strangely thankful and content. I feel honored to treat patients everyday. They entrust me with their health, a very valuable, personal part of each of us.

Today I saw a 25 y/o man with a history of heroin abuse. Though it was the first time I met this man, I was strangely drawn to him and truly care about his life. A few wrong decisions and anyone of us could have been in his place. In order for me to help him in the long run, I had to make some difficult short term decisions that may hurt him. Am I justified in doing this? I think so, or at least I hope so. I’m not in the medical field to be the best friend of every patient I encounter, but it is my job and duty to help them achieve their optimal level of health.

A sermon I heard yesterday spoke of the love of God, and how the discipline he bestows on his children is a direct outpouring of his love. I know I need his discipline. I’m already a mess, but know I would be even more lost if he did not correct me in my ways.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
–Hebrews 12:11


As I read through past journal entries, I am continually amazed at how God has led me, even when I did not want to go in the direction of his call. If only my stubbornness and self-righteousness could fade to see his gentle correction and leading.

I’m thankful for whom I am and the freedom I have found in Christ. I pray that I can always look past the momentary discipline to see the harvest of righteousness waiting.

No comments: