Friday, May 15, 2015

Thank you.



Thank you.

My current journey is coming to an end; a new one is about to begin, all subplots in one continuous journey through life.
In September 2009 I left the USA and traveled to Uganda. Four months of additional training there launched me off to what was then Sudan, which became South Sudan in 2011, my home until January 2015. I am grieving the loss of my life and daily relationships with people in Mundri. The friendships forged changed me, challenged me, grew me. I still have weekly conversations via cell phone with a few of my dearly loved brothers there, and what a joy to hear from them. I pray distance does not diminish those relationships.

My original plan was to spend one full year in the USA, gaining new skills and refreshing old ones, renewing relationships, and seeking restoration. I had hoped to live near mountains and rivers while working clinically as a physician assistant. I was thinking Pacific Northwest. Apparently God has a different plan.

Through a series of seemingly God-ordained events, I just accepted a position working at Resurrection Health, an inner city clinic in Memphis, TN that serves underserved populations. The clinicians live in ‘bad’ areas, the same run-down, impoverished, high-crime communities where the clinics are located. The staff has started several house churches in the area, seeking to grow in spirit with their neighbors and patients, caring for one another physically, mentally, and spiritually. In choosing to work there, I am choosing a lifestyle, going from missionary in rural Mundri, South Sudan to missionary in urban Memphis, TN.

I hope to return to overseas missionary work, but it may be longer than the one year gap I originally intended. Resurrection Health is very missional in mindset and numerous previous staff members are now working overseas. They appear very supportive of my desire to return to foreign missions in the future. An added bonus, Memphis has thousands of refugees living in the city, including numerous Africans and over 500 Sudanese and South Sudanese! Assuming my credentialing is complete, I will start working in August. Perfect timing. In June and July I am taking an intensive tropical medicine course at the University of West Virginia.

It is hard to express how thankful I am for friends, family, and strangers that have shown much support through prayers, finances, and words of encouragement throughout the years. I truly feel we journeyed together. 

I’ve been delaying to write this letter because in so many ways I don’t want this journey to end. What a wild, challenging, awesome experience it has been. I am nothing but grateful for my time in South Sudan. By choosing to follow and give up my former life and go, I received exponentially more – not in finances, or worldly possessions, but in memories, relationships, and heart-felt blessings.

Pray for South Sudan. The war rages on, the local currency is spiraling as costs of goods are soaring, death and disease are everyday occurrences, and hope is deteriorating as people are longing for a better life.

Life is a journey, and I am thankful that God and others are at my side as I travel along.
With many blessings and much love sent to you, dear friends,


-Scott J. Will

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Best of luck as you transition to life back in the states and in your new position. It sounds like an amazing opportunity and community to join. I pray you find peace and ease as you transition and a new community that can understand the struggles you may be feeling from leaving one home to make another. I am sure that even though time and distance passes, your relationship with your brother in South Sudan will not diminish.

Judith said...

Dear Scott, I will be praying for you as you begin what sounds like an even more challenging and personally dangerous position here at home. May God continue to use your heart and hands to build his kingdom and provide His love to His neglected and despairing children. May God bless you richly. Judy in HMB