Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mundri Volleyball League

20 September 2011

Mundri Volleyball League

We had the first matches of the inaugural Mundri Volleyball League today – and it was AWESOME!!!

When I left America to return to Africa, almost exactly two years ago, I laid aside many of my desires and comforts, thinking I would very rarely, if ever, have such things again in my daily life in Africa. Things which I liked in America, but knew I would probably do without in Africa – coffee shops, bookstores, Rita’s Water Ice, and volleyball. Those desires never completely left me, and I love coffee shops just as much today as I ever have. But I’ve always been a believer in laying things aside for God so that he can give you better, more meaningful things. I agreed to honor him with my life and pursue a new life in Africa, but I also knew that he would bless me because of that decision (though there have been, and continue to be many hardships along the way). It has been well over a year in the making, but we finally launched an organized volleyball league in Mundri, South Sudan!

There are four teams with eight to fifteen players on each team, and each team has at least one female player (as required by the league chair – me.). We play matches every Tuesday and Thursday, and if all goes well, we will have a tournament at the end of regular season play.

When I first came to Mundri in February 2010, I heard that Kyle, a previous intern with the missionary team here, made a volleyball net and began playing with some local guys. Apparently the net and equipment was stolen shortly after he left (before I came), but this gave me hope that people here might be interested in volleyball.

I started bringing a net and ball out to the field over a year ago, and we used some old wooden poles as supports for the net. It was a rough introduction. As people slowly started to come, it became obvious that most had never heard of volleyball and had no idea how to play or what the rules were. Africa is a beautiful land where football (soccer) rules the day, and almost anyone that sees any type of ball immediately uses it as a football (soccerball).

We’ve come so far since those beginning days! Last year I was happy if no fights broke out when we played, as three times in the first two months anger ruled the day and individuals destroyed the net, the poles were broken twice, and people were always kicking the ball and destroying it – all intentionally in rages of anger. Anger still rears its ugly head, especially among certain boys, but overall things have drastically improved. I try to keep a tight reign on anger, and distill potentially harmful situations immediately, but sometimes it has almost got me punched! In a land where war has been common, not the exception, many young and old men turn immediately to fighting as the sole source of negotiation. I would not have predicted this, but volleyball has been a great source of anger management training for many local youth!

Last fall there were times when over 100 people would come to play, watch, cheer, and hang out. It became the social thing to do and place to be from 5:45 pm to 7:00 pm every night. It became so popular that new nets and courts were constructed all over town. At one time there were five nets in Mundri, and people of all ages were playing!

To most youth here it is just volleyball, just a game – something to do, but to me it has become so much more, as I had always hoped and envisioned it would be.

I am all about relationships, and playing volleyball with a bunch of young guys and a few gals has fostered great, ongoing relationships. I’ve really come to love these kids – ages 5 to 45 years old, and I really look forward to seeing them everyday. I offer them medical advice and medicine when they are sick, greet them in town whenever I see them, and try to take an active interest in their lives – past, present, and future.

It has truly been a blessing to see growth in many of the guys that have been coming – both as players and individuals. Most have advanced through the ranks of having no idea how to hit the ball, to now passing, setting, and hitting very well. Recently there has been a big influx of younger, newer players. Most of them are still trying to figure out the game, so it has lowered the level of play a bit, but it’s been fun to get to know them as well and see renewed interest among the youth.

I went from being a coach, to mostly being a referee and occasional player now. Many of the players have advanced beyond my level (though I think my setting skills are still a bit ok!) and I am learning from them - a beautiful thing.

The guys and gals have also become adamant about protecting the equipment. I have to laugh when all the players yell at other people who kick the ball – it used to be just me telling people not to kick the ball! I’ve also given the net and balls to a young man to keep, as I cannot come every day because of meetings. He faithfully comes every single day and sets up the net and gets things going. The boy, nicknamed UK, is a returnee from Khartoum. He speaks VERY little English and his Arabic is the strong kind used in the north. We have conversations everyday, but I really only understand about 25% of what he is saying and he probably understands my English at about the same level. It has been so neat, and encouraging, to see him develop friends here with other guys that also play volleyball. They are ever singing, rapping American songs from Usher and the like, dancing like Michael Jackson, wearing their pants way-too-low for my style, and laughing all the time. Yet another glimpse of the beauty found in community and relationship.

I waited to start an ‘official’ league until our level of play and consistency improved, and people started asking me to organize it. I did not want to be the one pushing the idea if others were not interested. And so I waited, until now. Once enough people were interested and serious about organizing, we set things in motion and tonight were the first matches. There are still many things that need to be ironed out – like league fees, rosters, timetables, etc, but for right now, I don’t care. Tonight was great. There were no uniforms, kneepads, tennis shoes, or fancy scoreboards, or bleachers, or cheering parents, but there were so many wonderful, intangible things. I’m so proud of the four captains for somewhat organizing their teams (organization by local standards is no where near the level of organization I am used to coming from overly-organized America). It was the highest level of play I have seen here yet, and teammates mostly encouraged each other – I’ve really been getting on them lately about trying to be encouraging and not discouraging towards other.

I’m sure more arguments will ensue, and people will come late, and volleyballs will bust and nets will tear, and other such things. But right now, at this moment, I am so happy to see that volleyball, at least for two hours tonight, created a sense of teamwork, fellowship, community, athleticism, belonging, and excitement.

I was an athlete in high school and college, and I came to know Christ through the friendship and discipleship of one man working with Athletes In Action – a Christian organization reaching out to college age sports-minded individuals all over the world. So for me, volleyball and sports in general, is not so much about winning, but much more about relationship, commitment to others, opening doors, and breaking down barriers. Tonight, all those young men and women that played, and played well, are meaningful to me. Tonight, for me, was a gift from God – a reward of sorts, maybe, for me choosing to honor him and he bless me in return, two years in the making.

1 comment:

DrsMyhre said...

Rejoicing with you Scott! This is powerful and lifechanging stuff, the field of discipleship (?court) for sure. And it draws out your gifts in a beautiful way while blessing others. So glad it is really happening! We are big believers in sports ministry. Keep it up, and think of how to encourage other teams to do similar things. Seminar at the next WHM retreat? Or on the court?