Friday, October 29, 2010

Photos of the week...

Last Sunday I was invited to visit the home of my friend Billi, or as I call him "Man of America". He almost always refers to me as "Scott Will, Man of Moru, Sowa." Sowa means same, and when Billi says it to me, he is meaning we are the same, we are brothers. He is a great guy and has been a good friend of mine. His wife recently had a child while I was in America, and this was my first opportunity to visit. Visiting people here is something I greatly enjoy, as it provides a glimpse into their world and often helps to strengthen relationships.

This is a picture in front of Billi's house. I am wearing a shirt that was made for me, as a surprise gift, by one of my friends, Bakhit, who is a tailor. People are very generous here and are always offering me tea, bread, fruit, and even clothes! If only I could learn to be as generous as them!
Along with visiting Billi, his wife, and child, I also spent time with his extended family and neighbors, including some curios kids that were brushing their teeth.
Here is Billi, his wife Elpha, and his daughter Louis. Billi told me how his wife is sleeping in her own room for the next two months, as the baby grows and she recovers her strength, while he is in a separate tukul (but he shares the room and bed with his brother). Included in her room is a small fire "to keep the baby warm." This is the cultural norm apparently, though I did express some concern as the room was filled with smoke, which could be bad for the baby's developing lungs. I am still investigating this practice...
After meeting with Billi's family that morning, we all headed to church. I usually attend the English service at the main Episcopal Church Cathedral, which is much shorter than the Moru service and it is all in English (with the occasional song in Arabic). I have really come to enjoy this service and look forward to it. It is very different than what I am accustomed to America, but several of my friends attend in efforts to improve their English, which allows me to sit and worship next to them. These guys pictured below are a GREAT group of guys!

No comments: