Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sorrow and Sadness Despite the Joy - part #1


July 25 was the dedication of the “Bishop’s Court” (house) and the new missionary housing (where all the missionaries with WHM live, except me).

It was a day of hope, yet deep disappointment. Maybe I am too critical, or too idealistic. I saw the joy, and it was a grand day, but did I really take care of my friends?

Did Jesus come to serve or to be served? Did I come to Sudan to serve or to be served? Do I expect to sit back and be taken care of as an honored guest, or am I actively inviting people – helping to host? These are questions that all surfaced at the party, and they are not always easy to answer.

The Episcopal Church of Sudan (our partners and host) did a great job of setting up the tarp shelters, chairs, podium, and inviting the entire church and honored guests. Over 1,500 people journeyed the 2+ miles one-way from town to the new site, most coming by foot. It was a standing room only crowd that continued to grow.

The Archbishop of the ECS flew in from Khartoum to preside over the event, a distinction and honor for Mundri to have him here. The speeches were many, and many too long. As the sun continued to bear down, people sat patiently and listened attentively. The service and ceremonies lasted nearly four hours.

I invited many of my friends to the festivities. A chance for them to see the Bishop’s and missionaries’ new homes and to visit my meager garden that they are always asking me about. It was also a chance for them to meet my missionary colleagues. To my delight, and surprise, most of my friends came. Many of them are shop owners, and most closed their shops for the day in order to attend. In an economy where every day is uncertain, most people here strive to open their shops seven days a week, in hopes of some small amount of income. For me, to have many of my friends close theirs shops and walk over two miles one-way to attend was a BIG deal. I wanted to honor them, and in some small way, show them how much I love and appreciate them.

Visiting people and sharing a meal with them is a BIG deal in the local culture of Sudan. This was also my experience while living in Bundibugyo, Uganda. To journey to someone’s home, to sit with your friends, to come where they reside, to enter into their household – all measures of great respect and friendship. I like and appreciate this aspect of the local culture, and would do well if I took more time to visit people and sit with them, not always scurrying from one thing and one person to the next. I need to learn to slow down and appreciate the underestimated value of sheer presence. Africa is teaching me much, and I still have much to learn.

I am duly thankful for all those that labored greatly to make the celebration a success, attributing the glory and praise to God – for His kindness, blessings, and mercy. BUT, it was also a day of deep, intense disappointment. I felt like I did not duly honor my friends, and in many ways placed my needs before theirs. My eyes were once again forced open to see the disparity between those of honor (including white people living here – which is very few) and the average citizen of Mundri

To be continued...

1 comment:

Heidi said...

If ever there were a person who knew how to honor his friends, it's you, Scott!