Saturday, August 2, 2008

On Learning

Wanblee, South Dakota
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
Volume 3, Issue 14
July 28, 2008

-On Learning-
…I am his and he is mine…

Galatians 6:14-16: As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world’s interest in me has also died. It doesn’t matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation. May God’s peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God.

I continue to be amazed at the workings of God. I am farther from understanding them each day, but my faith in them increases daily. Truly, the more I learn, the more I realize I know very little. The more I experience, the more I realize I’ve only begun. If I die today, I know I have found the joy that passes all understanding. All else in my life fails in comparison to the overwhelming love of Jesus Christ. I am his and he is mine.

I struggle with sin daily. Each day I am faced with thousands of choices, and each day I turn from God in thought, action, word, and deed. Why? Sin so easily entangles and snares and my weaknesses are great. I am just beginning to learn what it means to minister from my weaknesses. I am not a complete being that has it all together, but rather a dirty, holey, smelly worn-down sock that needs some mending – over and over again. I am continually living in this balance of learning to let God love me, learning to let others love me, and learning to acknowledge that I am broken and that is ok. I have much more to learn, that I know all too well.

I’m not sure why I ended up on an Indian reservation in South Dakota when all I really wanted was to be in Oregon or Washington, but I am thankful I am here. I’ve already experienced so much and hopefully will experience even more. God has really been pursuing me lately, and even so, I know I have turned from him all too often. The past year of my relationship with Christ has been very stagnant at times. Not because of Christ, but because of me. I have not been disciplined and committed to him. I’ve tried to live in my own prideful and whimsical world, but it’s not working and it never will. Only when I repent of my sin, acknowledge God as the ruler in my life, and submit to His will can I truly be free. Freedom in Christ is a glorious thing.

Please join me in prayer as my eyes are being opened to my deep sin, my ability to lean on my own understanding and not acknowledge Christ, and my perpetual ability to let my own pride skew my vision and turn my eyes from God. Come Lord Jesus, come.

Please join me in prayer for the people of Wanblee, SD – especially the Oglala Sioux Indians. That years of injustice, poverty, depression, and despair would dissipate into years of joy, dancing, and deep reverence for Christ.

May we realize more fully everyday that our interest in this world has been crucified, that the world’s interest in us has also died, and all that really matters is whether we have been transformed into a new creation.

Dear brothers and sisters, may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

No comments: