Thursday, February 12, 2015

Living in a place of war...part 7.

Living in a place of war...part 7.


Malaria is a horrific disease that kills close to one million people every year worldwide. Malaria is endemic in many parts of the world, including Mundri, South Sudan. I have seen thousands of cases of malaria, and unfortunately have seen so many kids die of malaria that I no longer keep count. When I was in South Sudan I daily took a medication as prophylaxis to keep malaria away. Seeing as the door to my house was always open when I was home to allow some airflow and to welcome visitors, I often had numerous mosquitoes in my house. But oh the many joys and benefits of sleeping under a mosquito net – at least every night but on this particular night as I crawled along on the floor trying to locate the dirty purple yoga mat, reflecting on the scorpions and spiders, listening to Brown snore, and hearing the constant buzz of mosquitoes in my ear and feeling them biting me.

(Sitting here in a coffee shop, drinking a caramel latte, I have absolutely nothing to complain about!)

I eventually found the yoga mat and slowly slid it underneath me. Even a few centimeters of softness are heavenly after lying on firm concrete for hours! Though my backside found some respite, there was no sleep for me that night.

As I prayed for the morning light to come, for physical and spiritual darkness to retreat amidst the coming sun, for peace to reign, that somehow no one would have been killed amidst the gunfire, I could not help but feel overwhelmed by how blessed I am. Sometimes the most dramatic and unexpected situations cause me to reflect and recognize how privileged a life I have led. Yes, gunshots were fired. No, I had no idea why. But yes, I still had much to be thankful for. The two other people lying on my floor, and almost every South Sudanese person, had experienced the atrocities of war -the catastrophic rippling effects of instability, the fear of not knowing where the gunshots are coming from or to whom they are directed, the stress of trying to decide if you should stay or if you should flee.


I do not know why God allowed me to be born in the USA while others are literally born into a time and place of war. I do not know why God allowed me to be born in the USA with all its opportunities and ‘reach-for-the-stars’ mentality while others in various countries across this vast globe are literally fighting to survive from day to day. I have many choices, and the resources to thrive. Too many people have no choice, they seek to survive.

...to be continued...

No comments: