Saturday, February 7, 2015

Living in a place of war...part 3.

Living in a place of war...part 3.


Most of my time in South Sudan in 2014 was spent without a missionary team, as I was the sole representative of my organization, so when evaluating circumstances and situations, I relied heavily on local friends and community leaders. I also relied heavily on the support and information of fellow missionary colleagues from Maridi, a town nearly 100 miles away and several hours travel by car on often mind-boggling bad dirt and mud and cavernous roads. Twice in a seven-month period the missionary team from Maridi had to evacuate. The dominant tribe where I lived was the Moru people, also a dominant tribe in Maridi. So whenever something happened with Moru people in my community, I could anticipate a call from the missionaries in Maridi, “So, we heard something happened near Mundri???” and they could expect the same from me when I got wind of events happening closer to them. The young, talented, and smart missionaries in Maridi were an invaluable asset to me in ascertaining information and generally providing great fellowship whenever our paths crossed.

Earlier in the year, during the month of June tensions were at an all-time high in Mundri, at least compared to my previous time there. Local people literally had plans made to run to the bush. Every family was preparing themselves for what seemed the most realistic outcome, fighting in Mundri. I too, along with the help of local friends and family, was graciously included in all their plans. They considered me part of their families now. “Ok, Joseph, this is what we will do if this happens….and this is what we will do if that happens…we will all run to here…..we will meet up there….if that path is not an option then we will go here….we have food saved up here….there are sources of water there…..” All this was confounded by the fact that I had previously scheduled a regular out-of-country break starting in mid-June. But just prior to my scheduled departure, as in the morning I am supposed to fly, I get a call from Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) that runs the small airplane shuttle into South Sudan and out to Uganda, telling me that the plane would not be coming that day. And it would possibly not be coming any time soon. Something happened with the Ugandan Central Aviation Authority, so all Ugandan registered planes were not allowed to fly across international borders. Indefinitely. (Seven months later, at the time of this writing, January 2015, Ugandan registered planes have still not been cleared to fly internationally. Air Uganda, the countries largest airline carrier has subsequently gone out of business. MAF Uganda has since partnered with MAF South Sudan and has come up with a system, though not ideal, that has allowed us to still travel to Uganda from South Sudan.)

Around the same time as the increased tensions in Mundri and the greater surrounding area, I was becoming increasingly frustrated with the local medical situation. The staff morale was at an all-time low at the local government run health center where I was working, the new administration was proving worse than anyone could have imagined, and the staff absentee rate was sky rocketing. At the same time, the number of patients was increasing. June and July are in the heart of rainy season, so the number of malaria cases always increases during that time of year. Internally displaced people were also pouring into Mundri, so the number of sick people waiting to be seen everyday was higher than I had ever seen. On most working days I was easily seeing 70+ sick children and their parents, and sometimes I saw over 80 patients, all in just a few hours! To top it all off, the man in charge of supervising the medication supplies for the county health care system, whom had been arrested several months earlier for selling out medication and supplies that were intended for the general population, was immediately hired back after release from the prison system into a position that gave him even more oversight and access to medications and supplies. I had always known the county medical system was corrupt, but now they did not even try to hide it!

As June was quickly racing into July, 2014, the tension continued to increase. People were legitimately scared that fighting was going to happen in or around Mundri. My frustration at the health center came to a head when the local administrator told me he did not care if a patient lived or died, it was not his responsibility. This comment came on the tale of me asking him what I thought was a simple request for some help that would have had a direct impact on the patients’ outcome, to which he immediately declined even though I knew he had the capacity and resources to help. His comments led to my resignation from all duties at the health center for at least a two-month period. (I am happy to say that I did indeed return after two months, and even though the situation did not improve at the health center, and likely continued to decline, God was able to provide me with renewed focus and energy to impact and change the things I could and to let go of the things I could not.)

As tensions were at their peak in Mundri, and I was becoming unraveled with all that was happening at the health center in culmination with seeing the stress and fear in the faces of friends and family within the community, added to the fact that I was now two weeks beyond my expected break away from South Sudan, having spent 14 continuous weeks in a country at war without any teammates, God graciously provided in the form of an unexpected phone call.

“Hello, is this Scott?”

“Yes, it is.”

“This is MAF. We have a pilot from Tanzania, with a Tanzanian plane, that will be in South Sudan tomorrow, and tomorrow only. Would you like him to pick you up and take you back to Uganda. You need to let me know right now so we can arrange accordingly. And I have no idea when or if we will be able to bring you back to South Sudan. Would you still like to go?”

“YES!” I replied. And 18 hours later I was on a small plane headed to Uganda with no idea how or when I was going to come back to South Sudan. But I knew I needed a break, probably more so than ever before in my life, and I figured God would work out the rest of the details. I ended up staying in Uganda for 16 days, during which time I spent over a $100 USD making phone calls to South Sudan. My motorcycle was stolen a few days after I left, my roommate/younger South Sudanese brother was admitted to the hospital, another South Sudanese friend had a seizure, and tensions remained extremely high, but fighting never did break out in Mundri. However, a few days after I arrived in Uganda, I saw my missionary friends from Maridi, as they had to be evacuated from South Sudan, again.


...to be continued... 

No comments: