Monday, October 27, 2014

Bundibugyo Blessings






I just returned from a trip to western Uganda, a farewell tour of sorts. It was important to me to say goodbye to my friends in Bundibugyo, both locals and fellow missionaries, before I leave Africa in early January 2015. My Africa experience first began in Bundibugyo in February 2006, and I have been to Bundibugyo at least for a few days many times since. I was there in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, and now 2014! I never really lived there very long, despite want many people think, but I have just been back so many times!

To say that I was blessed unexpectedly in numerous ways during my brief jaunt would no doubt be true. I traveled with my current teammate in South Sudan, Justin, to Nyahuka, Bundibugyo district for two days. The first full day I was there I literally ran into almost everyone I know! Every corner I turned resulted in another shout “SCOTT!”.  I saw almost every single person I had hoped to see on the first day, and without me planning anything in advance – I just showed up! Even some friends from neighboring towns found a way to arrive in Nyahuka when they heard I was there. It was such a blessing from the Lord that I could not have planned more perfectly.

 

I was able to visit numerous staff members at the hospital, friends from church, neighbors, kids at boarding schools, friends at their places of employment, and many people came to the home where I was staying. I even went on a three-mile walk outside of town and ran into numerous friends along the way! God was surely smiling on me! 





Since I saw all my friends the first day in Nyahuka, it afforded me the blessing to be able to sit with several of the current missionaries in Bundibugyo on my second day and hear more about what is on their hearts. Truly, a sacred and blessed time – to listen, discuss, mourn, and praise with fellow sojourners.
On the third day Justin and I woke up at 5:00 am to catch the bus out of town. A brand new paved road made the trip oh-so-much-nicer and faster than what it used to be! We arrived safely in Fort Portal, our next planned stop, to see Patricia Abbott, a long-time missionary friend, and her two beautiful girls.  


The following day Justin and I left at 5:00 am again (I will hopefully never do two days in a row of getting up that early ever again!), but this time we were headed on a one-day whirlwind safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park. I wanted Justin to experience his first safari in Uganda as I experienced my last. And again, God was smiling upon us as we saw animals all over the place – lions, elephants, kob, buffalo, wart hogs, and more! We were truly graced with God’s goodness to see two different families of lions, and one male lion walked a few feet in front of our car! Later in the day, it was so awesome to see a whole herd of elephants walking along the water banks as we were on a boat tour. Thank you, Lord! May the glory of your creation never cease to amaze.



Justin and I are now back in Kampala, Uganda.We have a few days of errands, and ice cream eating, and coffee drinking, and cool weather relaxing before we head back to South Sudan on 30th October. 




 




I’ll be very happy to be back in South Sudan, but I must say, God’s goodness was all around me during this two-week trip in Uganda. I was able to complete 35 hours of continuing medical education the first few days I was here, and then we had a blessed trip to western Uganda.










This will be my final flight back into Mundri, and though I am sad knowing that I am soon leaving, I am also filled with joy. God’s hand and blessings have been so clear lately. Even in the midst of sadness, sorrow, and suffering, he has made his presence known.
 
I am grateful.


-sjw

1 comment:

DrsMyhre said...

Love the photos of home, and amazed and encouraged at the way God smiled on your trip. Safe travels.