Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Neither here nor there...


Neither here nor there…


Tonight (Tuesday, 13th December, 2011) I will board a plane in Entebbe, Uganda heading to Brussels. From Brussels to Washington D.C.. From D.C. to Dayton, Ohio.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, 14th December, 2011) I will arrive at 6:19 pm in Dayton, Ohio where my sister will be waiting to receive me.

Today I am neither here now there, but somehow caught in between.  My mind thinks of people in Mundri, South Sudan and the friends I’ve been visiting all over Uganda during the past two weeks. I also think of my family and friends in America. I even have nightmarish visions of crowds of people at Wal-Mart with carts full of toys…reconciling that with visions of street children in Kampala, Uganda or starving kids in Bundibugyo or stories of death from war and disease in Mundri, South Sudan…

I’m not sure where exactly I belong, but I take comfort in reading Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 9:

For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.


Please join me in praying:

That we would all find our identity in Christ alone, regardless of physical location and surrounding circumstances.

Traveling mercies as I cross continents and multiple time zones, and then begin to readjust to life back in busy America.

For a heart of gratefulness, that sees people as God’s creation, and treats them with dignity and respect, abandoning judgment and criticism. Trying to live in the present, learning from the past, and moving forward into the future with boldness.

As people rush around and buy gifts and bake goods of all kinds, that I/we would not get caught up in the busyness and forget to take time to sit and pause, think, ponder, rest, and reflect on who we are as seen through the eyes of God – his beloved children.

Thank you for your prayers, support, and friendship. May the Lord of all hosts fill your life with beauty and peace.

-Scott Will

No comments: