Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cooking With Gas

Cooking With Gas

An unplanned, but thoroughly enjoyed recent endeavor, is informal cooking and baking sessions at my house. Thanks to Michael Masso and Caleb Howard, I now have a functioning kitchen and running water in my house! It is still far from American standards, but has really been a blessing and convenience in my life.

It is pumpkin season right now, so the baked goods have been consistently flowing from my oven. My delight in sharing food with friends and visitors has inspired many of my friends, young and old, to ask me to teach them how to cook things like pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, and pumpkin cake.

It has been a pleasure to teach these guys how to cook and bake. In Moru culture men usually do not help with cooking duties, so for many of them, this is their first experience with such things. There is so much excitement as they eagerly wait to take things out of the oven and taste them and share them with their families. It also provides me with a chance to talk one-on-one with people and build deeper relationships as I teach them a new skill.






No comments: