Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Oh The Adventures I've Had...



OH THE ADVENTURES I’VE HAD…

Part #1 – Visiting Geofrey, Abigails’s Baptism, Blessings Bestowed

I just returned from a weeklong adventure that involved smelly goats, lengthy celebrations, chicken gizzards galore, friends abounding, raucous laughter, marriage proposals, a funeral, baptisms, multiple hours of traveling on car and motorcycle and bus, bountiful blessings, and life-long memories made. It was wonderful!!!

I’ve spent the past week visiting two Ugandan guys that I befriended when I was in Uganda in 2007. Both guys, Geofrey and Lamech, worked for World Harvest Mission in Bundibugyo. Lamech is still working with agricultural projects in the district, but Geofrey is now back in is home district. Neither one is originally from Bundibugyo district, but come from districts several hours away. I first visited their homes and families almost two years ago, and I have been longing to return. The friendship with these Christian guys has withstood time and distance and has continued to grow, as we corresponded via text messaging and phone calls while I was in America. During the Ebola crisis they were my main support system, and even though we hail from different cultures, I feel like they are my brothers and two of the dearest friends I have.

Geofrey is a remarkable guy, hard working, married with two children. His youngest child, Arinda Abigail Treasure, was born a few weeks after I left Uganda in April, 2008. Shortly before I left, Geofrey and his wife Peninah, asked me to help name their daughter and be the godfather as well – a true cross cultural honor. I chose the name Abigail, as it means father’s joy, and she is described as sensible and beautiful in the Bible. Geofrey and Peninah have been waiting nearly two years to baptize Abigail, anxiously anticipating my return so I could be present for the baptism.

After 10 hours of traveling by bus, truck, car, and motorcycle I arrived at the home of Geofrey’s parents – where the baptism was to be held the following day. I was welcomed with cheers, ululations, claps of joy, and warm hugs. It’s been nearly two years since I saw Geofrey; what a sweet reunion it was! His aged parents were so incredibly excited and filled with joy to see me again. The smile on their faces was matched by the blessings they bestowed upon me, and voiced thankfulness for my friendship with them and their family. They thanked God over and over again that He has protected all of us while we were apart, and now He had brought us back together again. Geofrey’s family repeatedly spoke about what a sign of love and friendship it was to travel “all the way to the bush” in a different district in Uganda to visit them. Seldom have I felt so loved!!

It was three days of laughter, joy, catching-up, blessings received and bestowed, and beautiful glimpses of God’s kingdom here on earth. I was in a place with no electricity, no running water, far removed from any city or town. The hills of green, scattered with banana plantations, cows, sheep, and goats was reminiscent of some scenes from The Sound of Music. My heart was alive with the beauty of God and His delight in relationships, friendships, and joyful reunions.

Geofrey’s mom remembered that I love pumpkin, so she had grown some enormous pumpkins and was saving the largest one as a gift for me! It must have weighed 35 pounds or more! She also raised a goat to give me as a gift, which she graciously presented to me. Geofrey’s father presented me with a huge chicken, and Geofrey’s son, Brandon, has raised a rabbit to give me. I almost cried with gratitude and thankfulness when they presented me with these gifts. These are NO small gifts by any standards, but especially here, in a place where meat is reserved for very special occasions and goats, chickens, and rabbits can be sold for substantial amounts to improve the quality of life for a family. I was speechless and stunned, as these are gifts of huge honor for which I did not feel I deserved but were still graciously and joyfully given.

I offered up the goat, chicken, rabbit, and pumpkin for Abigail’s baptism celebration (as I knew there was no way I was going to be able to take all these things with me on public transportation!). So I was involved in the slaughtering and preparing of these wonderful gifts! I really enjoyed plucking chicken feathers and trying to identify the various anatomical parts of the goat! Several of Geofrey’s nieces and nephews also helped, and they even remarked at how good and fast I was at plucking the feathers, citing that I must be “experienced” at doing this kind of thing!!

The baptism was fantastic, uplifting, and joyful!!! The local pastor and the bishop agreed to have the baptism inside Geofrey’s parents home, as Geofrey’s father can no longer walk well and thus can not travel far from his bed. The bishop was a delightful man that loved to sing and clap and dance joyfully!!! He often stopped the singing, encouraging us to be more enthusiastic in our efforts as he showed us how to dance and sing along! It was an awesome, truly African experience! As the godfather, I played a special part in the ceremony, and thankfully Abigail did not cry at all when I held her!

The time with Geofrey and his family was short, but immensely joyful and sweet- far surpassing any and all expectations! It was sad to say goodbye, but I know God is with them as He is with me. I know my visit to them meant more to them than any words or gift I could ever give. My friendship with Geofrey and his family is a sweet, beautiful gift from God. Spending time with friends and family is something I enjoy immensely, and something of extreme value in Ugandan culture. Thank you, God, for blessing me through Geofrey and His family, allowing me to see a glimpse of what reunions with loved ones must be like in heaven!!

…TO BE CONTINUED…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you about the goings on as of lately. What blessed friendships God has given you. What a joyful celebration to be a part of! God Rocks!
Katie