Friday, June 26, 2009

Luck


Luck

... finding four-leaf clovers…

June 25, 2009

I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, 
nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11


Yesterday I was thinking about luck and chance. I used to find four-leaf clovers all the time. I’ve probably found over 300 in my life. One time I found 56 within a 30-minute span. I usually eat them when I find them, as I used to believe that the luck would stay with me if I ate them. I also like the taste of them.

Most of the four-leaf clovers I’ve discovered appeared when I was not really looking for them: bending over to tie my shoe, picking up something in the grass, stretching downward to touch my toes. Somehow the four-leaf clovers just “pop” out. Maybe I have four-leaf clover vision.

As I was thinking about this yesterday, I realized it has been a long time since I have found a four-leaf clover. So long in fact, that I don’t remember when I last found one.

I have always considered myself to be a lucky person, though I now contribute it more to blessing than luck or chance. I also believe that some of what we consider luck is the result of hard work, patience, and dedication.

It occurred to me yesterday, through the Lord’s prompting, that I don’t really need luck anymore. Not that I don’t wish for good things to happen, but I now realize that the Lord is the sole reason that anything good happens in my life. Yes, I still believe I need to work hard and persevere, but whether or not I ever find a four-leaf clover again the Lord is still going to bless me. Furthermore, whether I feel blessed or not, I need to praise the Lord.

So I decided that I don’t need four-leaf clovers anymore. Just because I have not found a four-leaf clover in a very long time does not mean my luck is any less. I have God. I am blessed.

Later in the day I bent down to tie my shoe and saw a four-leaf clover. I gave it away.

-Scott

No comments: