Saturday, January 31, 2009

FYI


Many people have asked me about my future endeavors over the past few weeks, so here is a FYI regarding my future plans for those inquisitive individuals that want to know.

I am currently working as a physician assistant doing locum tenens (travelling) assignments. I just finished a community health position in the Seattle, WA area and now I am headed to a Navajo Indian Reservation in New Mexico to do urgent care work until mid-May. After that, I am hoping to be back in Africa.

I've spent eight months in Uganda on two separate mission trips and fell in love with the country and the people. God has really been working on me, so this past summer I committed to a five year term with World Harvest Mission,

http://whm.org/

and I hope to leave summer 2009. I am actively support raising, as I do not get paid by the mission, and must raise all my own funds. Many people have asked about this and more specifically about what exactly I will be doing while there.

The first six months of my time will most likely be spent in Uganda doing clinical pediatrics and HIV/AIDS care. I'll also be involved with a few public health projects, and no doubt I'll try to be involved as much as possible with the local kids. Then I will transition to Sudan.

In southern Sudan I will be part a new team that is currently forming. The team leaders, 10+ year veterans of Uganda, recently moved to the new location in Mundri, Sudan.

http://whm.org/go/long-term/s_sudan

http://whmsudan.blogspot.com/

As of right now, I am the only medically trained person that will be joining the team, and there are no other medically trained ex-pats in the area. I don't know exactly how my role will be defined, but I imagine the first 6-12 months will involve intensive language learning and relationship building. I think doing clinical medicine right away would be too overwhelming by myself, and I will have little to no medical supplies when I arrive. I hope to get very involved with public health teaching and project planning though, and I am really interested in working with the local youth and young men.

I am really excited and thankful for the opportunity to serve in Uganda and Sudan (you could join me there, too. Let's talk!). I am currently at about half of the amount that I need to raise. When I raise the entire amount, through monthly and one-time supporters, then I will be able to leave for the field. I may have to do some additional training here in the United States prior to my departure, but I am not sure about that yet. I am hoping to leave in June 2009, but it very well may be later. For more information on my story, check out:

http://whm.org/give/missionary?ID=51713

I welcome any and all questions you may have about my prior experiences in Africa or what may be in store for my future adventures. I hope this note helped explained a little bit more about what I am up to.

Blessings,

-Scott "Yogger" Will

No comments: