Friday, July 18, 2008

Moving Mountains


Fort Recovery, Ohio
Volume 3, Issue 11
July 18, 2008

-Moving Mountains-
…help me to reflect the Son…

The time has come, but I feel not ready to go. At last the next adventure is about to begin, but this one seems more uncertain than previous.

I’ve been given the all clear signal, and so it is with much excitement, yet some doubts and fears, that I am leaving tomorrow for Wanblee, South Dakota. One week ago I was presented with the opportunity to work on an Indian reservation in South Dakota. Prior to this time I really had no intention of ever being in South Dakota, not that it isn’t a beautiful state, but I was on a full-steam ahead straight path for the beauty of Oregon and Washington. Well, my plans were shot down when my Washington physician assistant license did not come through in time, leaving me wondering what to do next.

Last Thursday I received a phone call from a staffing agency telling me about various government short-term positions for physician assistants. Sure, why not? What else am I doing? I was told there were some sights in New Mexico and Arizona that would only require 3-4 weeks for me to get credentialed. Sure, I’ve never been to New Mexico, sounds exciting. The very next day the same recruiter called me and told me about a position in South Dakota, working on an Indian reservation for three weeks. The site really needed help and they thought they would be able to rush my credentialing and possibly have me working by July 21st. Great! Let’s do it. In the crevices of my mind I seriously doubted that I would get credentialed in time to start on July 21. (I applied for my Washington license at the end of April and I am still waiting on it!) Today I got the nod; I am all clear to begin working on Monday July 21st! Now, I am still a little leery that I am going to drive all the way to South Dakota only to be told on Monday morning that something is wrong with my paperwork and I can not start working, but regardless I am leaving the cornfields and wavering wheat of Ohio and heading west.

I’ll be stopping in Chicago tomorrow evening to visit with a friend from graduate school. On Saturday I’ll be driving 9 more hours to Sioux Falls, SD, and then on Sunday I’ll drive the final 5 hours to Wanblee, South Dakota, population 632. If you are anywhere along the path, just give me a call – it would be great to see you!

I’m not exactly sure what is going to happen when August 8th comes and my assignment in Wanblee ends. I’m planning to drive to Oregon and spend time with friends for a week or two then hopefully begin a position in Washington, assuming my license has finally cleared by then. My plans change often (see above paragraphs), but if it is solely up to me I will be back in the Pacific Northwest soon.

With all the uncertainties and unknowns in my life as of recent, I have failed miserably in abandoning my pride and clinging to the certainty of Jesus. My faith is far from an unwavering mountain, but more so resembles the moon, sometime high and sometimes low, sometimes full and sometimes absent from sight, sometimes bright and sometimes very dim – but always there, just changing in dynamic. Sometimes the moon magnificently reflects the sun, illuminating the path for others, but sometimes it appears dark and void. Lord, help me to reflect the Son.

I am a mere fool dabbling in folly who has much to learn. I've traversed a great way, and an even greater distance I must travel. Wait for the Lord I must; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. For even faith as small as a mustard seed can move a mountain.


Psalm 13:5-6
5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
for he has been good to me.

Psalm 28:7
7 The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy
and I will give thanks to him in song.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hello there, I'm a fellow PA and Jesus follower. Good luck on all of your endeavors. And keep following God. And remember, He didn't promise us a flood light on our future, only a light unto our path.
Sarah